Sunday, October 23, 2011

My "Love and Hate" show, featuring Netflix

Tonight I tell a tale of longing and resentment. The object of these feelings, I'm sure, cares little of them; but I'm here to tell a story.

Picture it: the year was 2006 and I found a new (to me) service called Netflix. It sent me movies just a few days after I requested them, it even offered streaming, though we weren't yet ready for such bold moves then. It suggested titles that might interest me, and it let me pause my membership if ever we were on holiday. We carried along in this fashion, embracing the streaming feature in 2009, all the while still receiving the occasional movie by mail.

And then came the year 2011. Netflix approached me and demanded I choose between its mailed DVD feature or its streaming. Oh, but I had grown to love the streaming, as we are without cable. And, yes, we had neglected the DVD by mail feature, but we loved it no less! And now we must choose? We chose streaming.

Oh, how Netflix deceives. Its sting, shown here, denies the longevity of our relationship. May 2010? I think not! We've been together since at least 2006, but Netflix's fickle past -- its brief affair with Qwikster, mainly -- tries to imply our relationship is fleeting.


Our relationship is anything but fleeting; I've been loyal, but lately, I must admit, I long for more.

Enter resentment. I now have far fewer options to watch. And I am far from the only one noticing. My dear friend Conan O'Brien announced he'd like to watch "The Golden Girls" on streaming, but he most certainly didn't check to see if he could before this post.



And my plea for more content:



My call has gone unanswered. Dear readers, please respond to this heart wrenching tale and help make it so no other feels this loss. Let @Netflix know our longing for more options and our desire to remain faithful. Let it not test our resolve, let it not toy with our emotions. Let it give us the "Golden Girls."

No comments:

Post a Comment